Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Miss You

I had no idea that transitioning into this job would be so difficult...well, it's not really difficult, but it's an adjustment I didn't realize would take so much out of me. I really like my new job. And I really enjoy the part about me not being at the restaurant as much. The ridiculous meter is off the charts.

Cinco
Cinco de Mayo, a lovely drinking holiday that brings everyone out. We were insanely busy (even though it was a Monday). We had tents set up outside, and the patio. I was inside, which I was bummed about at first, but I got over it. I was in a decent section, with happy patrons, and happy employees. I ended up getting sat with a co-worker and her eight friends, so that really made my evening enjoyable. It was the longest day of my life, but well worth it monetarily.

Drama
All last weekend we considered Cinco because it fell on a Monday. So, the first day of Cinco (Friday) the computers went down. Down-down. I, luckily, was not working, but the crash kits were pulled out and everything was done manually. Saturday morning when I got there, they were still down. Crash kits again. Everyone was tense, and those who had worked the night before were already frustrated because they already had one shitty shift, and they felt like they had to get ready for another. It was extremely difficult. When a "turn-and-burn" restaurant's computer system goes down that usually means that they are fucked. Especially during a holiday weekend. (I call it karma, but I'll get to that in a minute.) I only worked lunch Saturday (again, luckily), and I stayed in the zone to make sure that I was doing everything right. I wrote everything legibly for the kitchen staff, made sure to tally up the ticket properly. It's just weird because it's not what we're used to. If this were a diner, we'd have no problems. We had the prehistoric credit card machines--automatic rubbing system--pretty funny. But, we only had one, so that was a pain in the ass. When the shift was coming to a close, I immediately figured out my own sales, food sales, liquor sales, and asked to "check out" before completing my side-work. My GM and I sat down, did the entire check-out and agreed on the amount owed, etc.
Well, that night I hear that check-outs didn't go so smoothly. People claim they didn't make enough money, or that they owed too much. Some say that management on duty didn't know the proper formulas to figure out cash owed, etc. It was a mess. It even caused a senior server to quit, and it's a shame because she was a very hard worker and a good server.

Stupid Shit
Last night (Saturday) I got my ass kicked. I was in the first section, the farthest from the servers' station and the kitchen. It's a great section, but it's hard! I was sat my first 3 tables within 15 minutes. That's how the night started, and that's how it proceeded for the remainder of the shift. I snapped at the hostess (like we all do), which I had to apologize for later, because she is my friend, but it did upset me that she was seating me so incessantly. I know that it's preposterous to say this, but I really do wish that we could put the hostesses in our shoes for one day--shit, one round of being flat-sat, then tell me if they'll do it again. I say it's preposterous because of course we know that they wouldn't last, but maybe if they had some perspective...who am I kidding...
Moving on with the flat-seating...When I bitch about said flat-seat, I get this response, "Ask for help." If all servers are being flat sat, then they really don't have time to help others (there are usually a couple servers who are good for help, but on a whole everyone starts fending for themselves after the shift picks up). I know that being in the section I was in last night, I found it very difficult to find time to help anyone. That's also why no one can keep up with running side-work. If everyone is scrambling to get out of the weeds (and let's face it, some of them don't), no one can do anything. Pace the wait (I know I've talked about this before).

No Smoking
Ever since some dumb asses decided to tell the RGM they were going out to smoke, there is a ZERO tolerance level on smoking. Over Cinco, however, that did fall off a bit, so last night, I took a chance. Around 8:30, I told the GM that the trash was overflowing, and I would take it out. He asked if I had a minute. While I was taking out the trash (which really was overflowing), the other manager on duty came walking around the building. I yelled that I did ask permission, but she still seemed confused. Either way, we went inside, finished the shift, whatever. So after close, after check out she asked me about "the incident."
MOD: What exactly did you say to General Manager when you asked to go outside?
Me: I said that the trash was overflowing, so I would take it out.
MOD: Did you say anything about smoking?
Me: No, I figured any manager I asked to take out the trash, they would know that I would sneak a smoke while I was out there.
MOD: Okay, well General Manager didn't know that, and he wanted me to right you up.
Me: Well, I want you to know that I didn't mean to be malicious or anything, I just figured...
MOD: Well, I'm not going to write you up, but I wanted to let you know.
Me: Thanks very much...

Yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm thankful she didn't write me up, but this no smoking thing is killing most of us. The thing that pisses me off the most, which makes me want to rebel even more, is that they allow the managers to "take a drive" during the middle of their shift to smoke. They are allowing the people who are in charge of all the people to leave the property, while on duty, to smoke a fucking cigarette, but they won't let their employees run outside to relieve some stress. Unreal. I just hate the fact that management is not leading by example. If they can't get through a shift without a smoke, why do they expect us to. I'm all for stipulations, and I sure do know how people can abuse certain privileges, but come on. This is ridiculous.

Close tomorrow (even though I asked for no closing shifts during the week because of work, but who am I? Oh, that's right, I'm just one of their senior staff members, and that means squat)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm tired just reading that! ;)~