Monday, November 8, 2010

Out of Retirement

I've recently been feeling pangs of guilt towards my lack of blogging. I'm still waiting tables, after all that talk, and I'm still experiencing stupidity on a daily basis. I'm also a part-time secretary at a local college, which, after a moment's thought, absolutely falls under the title and meaning behind this blog.
Today I secretary-ed during the day, and it was the most unproductive day of my life. Aside from a few dramatic phone calls, I accomplished very little. This annoys me because I'm a part-timer in a full-time position. Anyway...one of my dramatic phone calls consisted of a woman calling to inquire about programs. When I answered the phone, she immediately began telling me about the operator and how she apparently does not like her job. I apologized to the woman, and she proceeded to lecture me on how I should never apologize for anyone else, etc., and so forth. Wow, lady.
The other call was from a dramatic mother who was calling to place a concern regarding her daughter's math class. "Would you like the number for the Math department?" I ask sweetly. "Well, which department did I call??" Are you telling me that you are calling me with a concern about your daughter, and you don't even know who you're calling?? Some people are stupidly amazing.
Luckily, I did not have to work at the restaurant tonight. My usual shifts are Wednesday through Saturday. Nowadays we are so overstaffed that I'm lucky if I get all four of those shifts. For the last two weeks I haven't been scheduled on Saturday, which is beginning to prove problematic. I'm also having difficulty, as of late, getting along with some of my co-workers. I don't really care if people like me, but I sure do hope that in a work environment, personal feelings can be put aside in an effort to achieve the same goal. Not where I work. For me, I am surrounded by people who thrive on making other people miserable. This particular group of people has disdain for the likes of me: Miss Haters. I don't really care for them much either, but in the restaurant, I treat them fairly, help them when needed, etc. With them, they make my life harder deliberately, just to get a rise out of me and an inevitable confrontation.
For example, we close the restaurant with four servers; three of which are responsible for "checking out" the other servers, and once their sidework, section, and silverware is completed, the appropriate closer will sign off on that server. On occasion when one of these Miss Haters is closing (usually there is more than one), they are ridiculous when "checking me out." If there is one chair pulled out in my section, they will not sign me. If there is one half sleeve of cup lids, they will not sign me. They will deliberately nitpick my section because they think that's what gives them power. They are wrong.
Friday night, I was scheduled to close, a Miss Hater approached me as soon as I walked in the door, and asked me for my close. I told her I had intended on keeping it, but I'd let her know. She then admitted that she was asking for another Miss Hater. I shrugged my shoulders because I had yet to commit anyway. Within minutes the latter-mentioned Miss Hater asked me for my close. I gave him the same response. Finally, this young girl, Dee asked me for my close. I gave her the same response, but was still thinking about keeping it. This crazy chick who loves me came over just after the shift began and informed me that the Miss Haters were conspiring to get me off the close because one of them was closing and didn't want to close with me. This pissed me off, but honestly, it hurt my feelings a little bit. Like I said, you don't have to like me, but when it comes to the fact that you don't want to work me, I wouldn't be human if it didn't sting a little. Well, knowing that even one of the Miss Haters was closing totally turned me off to the entire idea. I couldn't give it to the other Miss Hater though. If I did, he would probably be an ass when he checked me out. Why should I give it to him? Crazy Chick told me I should keep the close them burn him when I checked him out, but that's not the game I play. I really try to be fair, and ordinarily, giving my close to the first person who asked is how I would play. Given the fact that they were playing their own game gave me justification to play my own. I decided to secretly give my close to Dee. She's sweet and nice and everybody loves her. I secretly asked a manager's approval, then I went about my night. At one point in the night, I was at a server station with a guy named Matty (the fourth and impartial closer), and the Miss Hater who was also scheduled to close. Matty was talking about how it was the three of us closing. I was putting in an order, so I did not respond. Then Matty saw the manager: A. Man, and asked if he was closing as well. When A. Man responded that, indeed, he was, Matty clapped his hands and said something like, "Great! The four of us, and Crazy Chick." With that, A. Man says, "Miss isn't closing, Dee's closing." Miss Hater shot me a look and said, "What?" I replied slyly, "Oh, Dee said something about wanting the close." With that, Miss Hater stormed off in a huff. Crazy Chick approached me a few minutes later to tell me that Miss Hater was pissed. Great. Why should I do anything to help you, when all you do is make everyone around you miserable. I'm tired of people walking on me. I'm tired of people disrespecting me. Although I am non-confrontational, I will tell you how it is, if you really want to know.
It feels good to be back. I hope I still have some readers out there!!!
Tuesday: Secretary A.M. / Off P.M. :)

2 comments:

K said...

YEAH! You're back! :) I missed you and was happy to see you pop up in my Google Reader. Thanks also for the sweet comment on my blog recently :)

Dee said...

I remember this night! Ridiculousness. I feel like people like to create drama and its just about the rush of being mean. I'm sorry when it happens to you because you don't deserve it:(