Saturday, November 10, 2007

At Least Call Me Miss...

As I sit here to start this blog, my mind is flooded with all the topics I want to discuss--put your hat on kids, this is only the beginning...

At least call me 'Miss'...

When I worked for a corporate restaurant, it was required that servers introduced themselves by name. During that time, it irritated me that people couldn't take the time to read my name tag, so conspicuously placed on my chest, and called me "Ma'am"--at least call me "Miss." What the fuck? I know I'm a waitress, but does that automatically make me a 60-year-old by the name of Flo?

Well, now, I'm currently being held captive at a smaller company, that is becoming more and more well known on the east coast (that's all I will reveal). This company does not require its servers to introduce themselves by name--it's actually kinda cool. I simply walk up to the table, bringing our complimentary appetizers (which always makes people happy--instantaneous food), smile, ask the table, "How's everyone doin' today?" and start them all with drinks. If a table wants to know my name, they will ask.
Even though I do not provide my name to all tables (sometimes with families, I introduce myself to make the kids feel more comfortable with me--a tactic I learned in the army), it still does not give people license to call me "Hey" or snap their fingers at me. A friendly wave, that's fine; and when I respond to that wave with a friendly nod, please put your fucking hand down--the nod means I saw you. Idiot.
Anyway, when I greet a family, and I do provide my name, it infuriates me when the parents say, "Alright, Timmy, tell The Nice Lady what you want." I don't know why it infuriates me....it just does.
I wait on a lot of businessmen, and it especially irritates me when they call me "Ma'am."
It's this and a whole lot more that has made me what I am today--a bitchy waitress.

2 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

I'm visiting from reading about you on Don't Tip The Waiter. I have to say, I'm sorry you hate Ma'am as a form of address. I hate Miss. Ma'am is what's drummed into military members, and it just sticks with one. So, sorry about that. But I'll try and call you Ms. if that makes you feel any better!

Darby said...

I guess I could be called worse! :) You definintely have a point...I was actually just talking about this today with a co-worker. She prefers to be called Ma'am, and, you're right, it is engraved in some people that the title is a form of respect. Fair enough. Thanks for stopping through! Happy Reading!

~BW