Friday, January 21, 2011

A Prime Example

Today: Secretary / Server (I got a shift!)

In an effort to stick to my plan, I'm posting now, rather than later. I just finished my "shift" at the office, but I have an interesting story from the day.

Around 11:30 this morning, the phone rings:
Miss: Good Morning, This Department.
Student: Yes, I was calling to see if Mrs. DC (Department Chair) was available to meet with me today. I'd like to get signed into a course.
*Side note: The semester started two weeks ago. Today is the last possible day to add classes, and at this point, a lot of instructors are not allowing adds because those classes that meet twice a week have already met four times; therefore, any late students have two weeks of work to catch up on in addition to the new material. It doesn't set students up for success if they add a class too late in the game.
Miss: Unfortunately, Mrs. DC is going into a meeting. The meeting is scheduled to end at 12:30, but generally the meetings run long. Would you be able to come in around 1:00?
Student: It's taken me weeks to get off for today. I work.
Miss: I apologize; however, if you've been trying to get off for weeks, you could've called me, and I would've been able to set up an appointment for you.
Student: Whatever bitch. *click*

Did that really happen?? Yes. I immediately shared this information (as well as the student's name) with my faculty and the DC. Funny thing, immediately after the meeting, around 12:45, the student called back. Mrs. DC was on another line, so I asked the student to hold. She held for approximately 3 minutes before hanging up. Around 12:55, she was in my office, in my face.
DC agreed to meet with the student, and when she confronted the student about the language she used with me, the student denied having said anything. Whatever. I told DC to tell students that the lines are recorded...it's beside the point now.
The student left through the rear entrance of the office--I think she did that so she didn't have to face me, but that's just my opinion. She did not get granted permission to join the class. And I will NEVER forget her name.

Tomorrow: Off / Server PM

No comments: